"Who could look into the eyes of such a miracle and doubt the reality of God." - Angela Thomas Guffey

Our baby girl, Maylin Dawn, was born on July 18th, 2010, 9 weeks early at Parkview North Hospital in Fort Wayne. She spent 3 weeks and 2 days in the NICU facility. We created this page to keep our family and friends informed of our new life adjustments and updates on Maylin's miracles during her stay there.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

"D-Day"

Sun. July 18th, 2010
Gestation: 31 weeks, 1 day

I woke up that morning very irritable, which was showing pretty clearly on the monitors at that point. Breathing was still difficult and a major nuisance! I just couldn't really get comfortable. Since the Mag. Sulfate wasn't doing its job at this point, they went ahead and checked me again.

6 cm.

"Well looks like you're having a baby today or tonight."

So I was taken off the Mag. Sulfate for good this time so it didn't have any more affect on the baby. With that wearing off into the morning mild contractions picked up on and off pretty much most of the day. Nothing really consistent though, and they were nothing like full-out labor to me which was weird.

So with all this new information in mind they started prepping Maylin's new "home" and I tried to rest as much as possible.


Mom and Dad showed up that morning, and so did Kristi. Thunderstorms were in the forecast and it started getting pretty bad out. I was in a pretty good nap in the later afternoon and around 4:30 pm they called a "code white" which meant we had to shut our blinds and no one was allowed to leave the hospital if they wanted to. The doctor had just left at this point.

At about 5 pm I started stirring from my nap and remember Kristi saying "well looks like not much is happening so I guess I'll head home."

...No sooner did she say that I woke up and felt an extreme, warm GUSH! Yep...it was "lake Maylin" as we like to call it!
Me: "Um....pretty sure my water just broke".
Kristi: "Looks like I'm staying then."!

Brock called his parents at that point and the oddest timing happened and they were just pulling in the parking lot of the hospital not having a clue what was going down. That was just a strange coincidence!

In the meantime...after that water broke...things picked up really fast. The nurses were kinda getting things around but not really um...hurrying.

The 2 contractions that followed after were full blown pressure. I looked at them and said I was needing to push. Apparently they didn't believe me cuz they just said,
"Ok, well try to hold her in...don't push."
Me: "yeah right!"
So I look at Kristi, pretty sure she could tell by the look on my face I wasn't joking and needed to do something now so she pulls the blanket away and yep, there was a head!

At this point 1 nurse was just in her scrubs, the other one wasn't, the bed wasn't broken down. Not good! After all that I don't really remember what happened in that small time frame. I remember having to pant like crazy to keep my breathing under control so I wouldn't hyperventilate. That wasn't fun.

Then the nurse finally gave me the "go-ahead" to relax and I didn't even push.

17 minutes after the water broke....out she came. Quick. All 3 lbs, 12 ounces and 17 1/2 inches of her!

The nurses literally had to catch her on the bed when she flew out of there! Crying and all.

At that point, thankfully the NICU doctor, Dr. Porter arrived and got Maylin all taken care of right away in her little bed.

Here she is! Cutting her huge cord!

Poor babe, swollen little eyes and teeny tiny little body.
Had a full head of dark, beautiful hair! Love it!
Dr. Porter examining her


This was my first and last moment with her for a while...and probably the hardest. It was a quick 10 seconds that I got to hold her and give her a kiss before she went upstairs.

Welcome to the world, Baby Maylin Dawn! We know you'll be the "biggest little fighter" ever! Love you!

p.s. Unlike Kahler's post-delivery experience, THIS placenta came out in the right amount of time, in ONE piece! Thank God!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations again! :) Seeing Baby Maylin's pictures still bring tears to my eyes- she's SO precious! We're all wishing you many more blessings & answered prayers, sending you love & hugs!

    ReplyDelete