"Who could look into the eyes of such a miracle and doubt the reality of God." - Angela Thomas Guffey

Our baby girl, Maylin Dawn, was born on July 18th, 2010, 9 weeks early at Parkview North Hospital in Fort Wayne. She spent 3 weeks and 2 days in the NICU facility. We created this page to keep our family and friends informed of our new life adjustments and updates on Maylin's miracles during her stay there.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The beginning of our roller coaster ride...

Wednesday, July 14th, 2010
Gestation: 30 weeks, 4 days

8 am.

Woke up to something I didn't expect to see at 30 weeks and 4 days along with our baby girl. After using the restroom, I called the midwives at Fairhaven to see if I should come in. They didn't sound too panicked, and asked me to come in at 11 that morning. Up until then, the bleeding didn't stop and I got myself around the easiest I could when my mom showed up to watch the boys while I went to my appointment.

In the meantime, Brock was working his last day of training out in North Carolina. He'd been gone since that previous Sunday and was scheduled to arrive home at the South Bend airport at 9:30 PM that night.

As I left I didn't know it'd be the last time I'd hug and kiss my boys good-bye until the next day:(

At my appointment Nancy the midwife did an exam on me and guesstimated I was about 1-2 cm. dialated. Didn't know what what going on with the bleeding. She told me she was going to admit me to Goshen to have them check me out.

...That was my breaking point! I could tell she knew something wasn't right.
As soon as I could I drove to the hospital and talked to Brock on the way trying to not let him panic either. As I got to the 3rd floor my sister was working and was waiting to check me in. What a relief! She got me settled into a room and even stuck me with an IV:)

Once we got the monitors hooked up I started having "contractions", only they weren't full blown labor pains to me. I was having a hard time telling if I was just crampy or really having labor. The monitors told us they were happening pretty consistently after a while every 4-5 min. Dr. Borkowski was the one who did another exam on me, which caused even more bleeding and guessed me to be about 3 cm dialated at that point. The deciding factor was whether to wait it out and see if I made more progress, or to go ahead and transport me to Ft. Wayne on the Magnesium Sulfate to stop my contractions. She decided to wait a few more hours then see where I was from there.

5 pm rolls around and she did a cervical ultrasound and checked me again. I had more thinning out for sure and she felt I was dialated even more. So we made
the decision to get me on the Mag. Sulf. and transport me to Ft. Wayne.

About 7 pm the ambulance came and they loaded me up. Jeannie, the nurse rode along with me to Parkview North in FW. On the ride my contractions slowed to every 20 min. or so.

By that point Brock made a change in his flight plans so it would get him to Ft. Wayne airport instead of South Bend. When I got into my room at Parkview he was literally 15 min. behind me!

I got checked in to the room and Brock, Mom, Dad & Kristi were there too. I didn't have any weird flu side affects from the meds, so I was pretty lucky there.

After a long day, we still had to talk to Dr. Cly my OB doctor close to midnight, and then talked to Dr. Porter, the NICU doctor at 4 am! That was hard to handle being extremely exhausted then hearing about the chances of having a pre-term baby. It was a rough night!



No comments:

Post a Comment